Monday, April 27, 2009

What is the colour of 1% milk???

When discussing the differntial diagnosis of meningitis you must always consider entities other than bacterial. Please see below for a review of a more unusual cause of meningitis: MUMPS.

Mumps is a single stranded RNA virus which is a member of the paramyxovirus genus. The incidence of Mumps infection has dramatically reduced since the introduction of the live attenuated vaccine in 1967. Despite this, there continue to be sporadic outbreaks.
The transmission of the virus is viral respiratory droplet, direct contact and fomites. The incubation period is 14-18 days from exposure to onset of symptoms. The peak of contagion is just before the onset of parotitis.
Clinical features of mumps include a non-specific viral prodrome of low grade fever, malaise, headache, myalgias and anorexia. Within 48 hours the onset of the classic parotitis begins. This is present in 95% of cases due to direct infection of ductal epithelium. The swelling can last up to 10 days.
Complications:
Some of the more serious complications of mumps include meningitis, encephalitis, orchitis. The orchitis is the most common complication in adult men appearing in close to 1/3 of cases. Symptoms include testicular pain, swelling, erythma of the scrotum. Oophoritis occurs in approximately 7% of post-pubertal females.
Aseptic meningitis is the most frequent extrasalivary complication. An assymptomatic pleocytosis can be seen in >50% of patients with clinical mumps. Clinical aseptic meningitis is seen in 4-6% of patients. This most frequently manifests as headache, low grade fever and nuchal rigidity. CSF has 10-2000 WBC (mostly lymphocytes), elevated total protein and mildly depressed glucose.
Other complications include encephalitis, deafness, GBS, transverse myelitis and facial palsy. Less frequent complications include thyroiditis, myocardial involvement, pancreatitis, interstitial nephritis and arthritis.

Diagnosis can be made on the classic presentation of parotitis. Other pertinent tests include leucopenia, relative lymphocytosis and serum amylase elevation. Specific testing for mumps include IgM mumps, significant rise in IgG titres, isolation of mumps virus. PC of affected fluid (e.g. CSF) is also an option.
Treatment is symptomatic.

1 comment :

Google said...

It was my last hope of having a child and Dr Obodo made my dreams come true. I asked for the spells, but didn’t tell my husband. We carried on trying to get pregnant as normal. I had a really good feeling about Obodo. I felt pregnant or like pregnancy was coming very about a week after the spells were cast. I began to vomit in the morning from morning sickness. I thought it was the toast. I’ve never felt like that before. And it was true! I went and grabbed the pee stick to show my husband. I went to my doctors at the earliest possible time to have a test and it came back positive. I immediately rang up my husband to let him know that the pee stick was not a false positive. He asked me how it was possible. He was certain that the pee stick was passed the expiry date. I told him all about Obodo, the fertility spells and he was amazed. We now have a very beautiful baby boy on the way and we are expecting to use Obodo in hope that I can have my baby girl. you can get in touch with doc via info ___ templeofanswer@hotmail . co . uk , call 234 8155 425481 for help

Thank you,
The Messer Family