Friday, August 21, 2009

Pulmonary embolism









Today we discussed PE in the setting of malignancy. Some points about this common and serious disease:

Clinical presentation:
Notoriously unreliable. May see any or none of

SOB, pleuritic C/P, hemoptysis, palpitations
Tachypnea, tachycardia, desaturation, hypotension

Other possible findings:
ABG- hypoxia, resp alkalosis
CXR- atelectasis, effusion,
Westermarks's (proximal pulm art dist with distal oligemia), Hampton's hump (peripheral density from infarct). This CXR signs are rare; most commonly normal CXR
ECG- RV strain (STD V1-V2, RBBB, RAE, RVH, R axis dev),
S1Q3T3- massive. Usually just sinus tach
Echo- RV stress (hypokinesis, TR, dilation)

Clinical exam is of insufficient Sn/Sp to make diagnosis; it gives a pretest probability.
Non-invasive investigations are also not Sn or Sp alone, although a -ve CTA may be sufficient to withhold anticoagulation

Approach is to
1) Determine pretest probability
2) Determine whether pt has adequate cardiopulmonary reserve (i.e. will another PE kill this pt?)
3) Perform noninvasive or invasive investigations.

Risk stratification:
Clinical findings of DVT- 3
No other more likely dx- 3
Immobilized over 3d or major surgery within 1 mo- 1.5
HR over 100- 1.5
Previous DVT/PE- 1.5
Active Ca- 1
Hemoptysis- 1

Greater than 6: High PTP (78% have PE)
2-6: Int (28% have PE)
Lower than 2: Low (3% have PE)


Management:

DVT and PE are treated the same way:
Initially: LMWH (unless renal impairment or need ability to reverse, in which case UFH infusion. Start warfarin; adjust to INR 2-3, then d/c warfarin
Long term:
With reversible/treatable cause for DVT/PE:
Treat underlying, anticoag for 3-6 mo then stop.
Idiopathic:
Anticoag for 6/12, then decide whether to continue based on:
bleeding risk, pregnancy plans, pt's preference.
Underlying unmodifiable reason:
Lifelong anticoag recommended

EBM points:

VTE in cancer
CLOT trial compared the efficacy and complications of the use of LMWH vs. warfarin in treatment of DVT/PE in cancer pts.
Intervention: Dalteparin 200u/kg SC OD x 5d, followed by coumadin for INR 2.5 or dalteparin alone, 200u/kg for 1 month and 150u/kg for 5 months.
Outcomes: recurrent DVT in 6 months, mortality, bleeding
Results: Recurrent DVT: 17% vs. 9% on LMWH (ARR 8%, NNT 13). Significant bleeding: 4% warf, 6% LMWH. Mortality in 6/12: 39% LMWH, 41% warfarin. Subgroup analysis showed decreased mortality on LMWH in pts presenting with VTE and metastatic ca.

Thrombolysis in PE
Only RCT evidence comes from 2002 NEJM paper comparing alteplase vs. placebo in patients with acute PE and RV dysfunction or pulmonary hypertension. Endpoint was mortality or "clinical deterioration requiring escalation of treatment"; this might include pressors/inotropes, CPR, surgery, intubation, or thrombolysis. There was no mortality difference, but the alteplase group had significantly lower "escalation of care". This is a criticized paper because some argue that it essentially gives the "escalation of care" outcome to 1 group to begin with (i.e. thrombolysis as both an intervention and an outcome is a bit strange).

2 comments :

Joel Golli said...

For years, I have read and seen the advertisements in the mass media about all of the penis enhancement pills and thought that they were all scams or gimmicks. All of the medical sites that I have visited stated that none of the herbal supplements would ever help increase the size of a penis. I got very depressed when I read this, because unfortunately I was not naturally blessed with a penis that was big enough to arouse my sexual partner or past partners. I am a man that is past my sexual primetime and my sexual performance has a lot to be desired. I decided to try Doctoc Akhigbe herbal medicine after all the reading and researching that I have done.I saw a testimony " Joe" about doctror Akhigbe Herbal Medicine Since there is a Money Back Guarantee, I give him a trial what did I have to lose? I couldn't believe the results I was seeing after drinking the Natural  Herbal Medicine  and Herbal Soap to be rubign my penis! he sent to me through DHL courier delivery service . Within about 2 weeks I had a noticeable increase in the girth of my penis. Then after a coupleof aditional week it started to grow in length and I was amazed and very excited.before I finish the drink and the soap my penis had grown an additional two inches. I've had a considerable improvement with my sex life and these pills are certainly worth every penny I spent on them! I want to thank Dr Akhigbe for the time and effort they have spent on helping people in my situation.I know many are out there who are suffering this problem and they need help, email him.    drrealakhigbe@gmail.com.    He also cure other diseases like: . HIV/ AIDS. JOINT PAIN, BREAST ENLARGEMENT. DIABETIES.  HERPES. AUTISM . NO PRIOD.  CHRONIC DISEASES. LUPUS . MALE AND FEMALE FERTILITY. WAST & BACK PAIN. CANCER . DISCHARGE FROM BREAST PAIN, BREAST INFECTION. PARKINSON DISEASES.  WOMEN SEXUAL PROBLEM.  VAGINAL INFECTION. IRREGULAR MENSTRATION , PAIN & ITCHING, TOXOPLASMOSIS,  . LOWER ABDOMINAL PAIN PAIN DURING SEX INSIDE THE PELVIC . PREMATURE EJACULATION.  PAIN DURING URINATION. PELVIC INFLAMATORY DISEASES , VAGINAL DISCHARGE. (PID). PULMONARY FIBROSIS, DRIPPING OF SPERM FROM THE VAGINAL AS WELL AS FOR LOW SPERM COUNT. DENGUE, TUBERCULOSIS. CIRRHOSIS .    ITCHING OF THE PRIVATE PART. ZERO SPERM COUNT.  ASTHMA.  . ,  EJACULATION. WEAK ERECTION. ERYSIPELAS, DISCHARGE FROM PENIS . HPV. QUICK EJACULATION. HEPATITIS A & B. STD. STAPHYLOCOCCUS + GONORRHEA + SYPHILIS. HEART DISEASE.  PILE-HEMORRHOID. HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE. RHIUMATISM, THYROID, PENIS ENLARGEMENT  .   For your cure email him now:   drrealakhigbe@gmail.com    or Contact his numbe:  +2349010754824.

Intimatefly said...

This was among the best posts and episodes from your team it let me learn many new things.
medicine for itching in private parts