Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Variceal Hemorrhage

Today we discussed the case of an elderly man who presented with an upper GI bleed in the setting of known cirrhosis. A variceal bleed was suspected.

Management of an upper GI bleed is a common scenario faced in our hospital's Emergency Department. Keep the following questions in mind:

1) Is my patient stable (ABCs, IV access -large bore, and on the monitor)?
2) Do they need fluid?
3) Do they need blood?
4) Are they coagulopathic?
5) What management can I initiate now (acid suppression, octreotide)?
6) Do I need to call Gastroenterology now?

Here is a link to a recent review on the management of variceal bleeds in the setting of cirrhosis.

Finally, here is a link for a review on the natural history and consequences of Hepatitis B.



2 comments :

Unknown said...

Wow if you hadn't mentioned this site today I would have never known it existed. Good recaps.

Florence said...

I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Health Home, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Health Home via their website at www.ultimatelifeclinic.com I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!