Thursday, April 28, 2011

Diarrhea in HIV-infected patients

Diarrhea can cause significant morbidity in HIV-infected patients, and can be due to a myriad of causes from infectious pathogens, malignancy and even medications. Before the use of HAART, chronic diarrhea was a large cause of AIDS-defining conditions. However, in the current era the infectious causes of diarrhea in HIV-infected individuals in declining. Key to the evaluation of diarrhea in HIV-infected individuals is a thorough history that includes duration of symptoms, frequency and characteristics of stool, amount of weight loss, and the presence of other abdominal symptoms and constitutional symptoms. Additionally, all medications should be reviewed. A careful physical examination is key to help determine the degree of wasting or to identify any particular findings that may point to specific diseases. For example, fever and wasting may suggest an underlying opportunistic infection. Initial investigations should include stool examination and cultures, and blood cultures. Abdominal CT imaging and endoscopy may be considered if the initial non-invasive work-up is non-diagnostic.

Below is a list of several key causes of diarrhea in HIV-infected individuals:


Bacterial: salmonella, campylobacter, MAC, TB, C. difficile, shigella
Viral: CMV, herpes simplex, adenovirus, norwalk
Protozoal: microsporidium, cryptosporidium
Fungal: histoplasmosis, coccidiomycosis
Gut neoplasms: lymphoma, Kaposi’s sarcoma
Pancreatic insufficiency
Infectious pancreatitis: CMV, MAC
Drug-induced pancreatitis: didanosine, pentamidine
Tumor invasion: lymphoma, Kaposi’s sarcoma
Idiopathic: “AIDS enteropathy

1 comment :

Marilyn Navarro said...

I’m here to testify about what Dr James  did for me. I have been suffering from (GENITAL HERPES VIRUS) disease for the past 4 years and had constant pain and itching, especially in my private part. During the first year, I had faith in God that i would be cured someday.This disease started circulating all over my body and I have been taking treatment from my doctor nothing is working out, few weeks ago I came across a testimony of Pedro, on the internet testifying about a Herbalist called Dr James from West Africa, on how he cured Him from 7 years HSV 2. And He also gave the email address of this man [drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com], advising anybody to contact him for help on any kind of diseases that he would be of help, so I emailed him telling him about my (HSV 2) he told me not to worry that I'm going to be cured!! Well, I never doubted him. I have faith he can cure me too,, Dr James prepared and sent me Healing Oil, Soap, roots and herbs which I took. In the first one week, I started experiencing changes all over me, after four weeks of using his Roots/ Herbs, Oil and Soap, I was totally cured. no more itching , pain on me anymore as Dr James assured me. After some time I went to my doctor to do another test. the result came out negative. So friends my advice is if you have such disease or know anyone who suffers from it or any other disease like  HPV, HBV, HIV/AIDS, ALS, HBP, CANCER,NEPHROTIC SYNDROME, etc. you can contact Dr James herbal mixed  the home of wellness direct on his drjamesherbalmix@gamil.com  He is a good man,and He will help you.