Monday, July 25, 2011

Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis


This morning we discussed an unsolved mystery that involved a skin biopsy showing TEN. Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis (TEN) a severe type of hypsersensitivity reaction, affecting the skin and mucus membranes, that occurs in response to medications and some infections.

Treatment includes stopping the offending agent and supportive care including treating the complications such as superimposed skin infections.

Here is a recent review on the topic if you like to read more!
Toxic epidermal necrolysis and Stevens-Johnson syndrome: a review.
Gerull R, Nelle M, Schaible T. Crit Care Med. 2011 Jun;39(6):1521-32.

*The above picture is Mycoplasma pneumoniae, which is rarely associated with TEN

1 comment :

Florence said...

I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Health Home, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Health Home via their website at www.ultimatelifeclinic.com I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!