Friday, January 3, 2014

Pyogenic liver abscess

Discussion today surrounded an atypical presentation of a pyogenic liver abscess. Typically, this condition will present with fever, sweats, abdominal pain (usually RUQ) and occasionally symptoms of systemic infection. Todays case was a bit strange, given the only consistent features were constitutional symptoms, and atypical chest and abdominal pain were misleading. As a result, one must have a high index of suspicion for a liver abscess with fever of unknown origin (FUO). Following negative preliminary testing in the evaluation of FUO abdominal imaging should be considered, especially when there are abnormal liver enzymes. This approach led to a diagnosis in 19% of cases where first line tests were unrevealing.

Pyogenic liver abscess is the most common visceral location for focal infection. That being said, its really not that common, where some studies quote 2-3 cases per 100,000. Most studies on epidemiology of liver abscess have been performed in South East Asia, and may even be more uncommon in our population.

These infections can develop through several mechanisms:

1. Hematologic bacteremia leading to seeding
2. Biliary obstruction and reflux of bacteria into liver parenchyma
3. Direct invasion through adjacent structures (gastric perforation) or contact through bowel leakage/perforation

Most often these infections involve the right side of the liver given the blood supply tends to be larger for this lobe.

Many micro-organisms can cause liver abscess formation. Some of these include:

Strep. anginosis, staph. aureus and strep pyogenes are amongst the most common pathogens involved. Klebsiella sp., as in our patient, which is a gram negative abscess forming bacteria is also well described. There was a large case series from Taiwan which found that Klebsiella was a common cause of liver abscess (nearly 70%), most often developed in the community, and was associated with DMII and hyperglycemia.

The treatment of these patients is antibiotic therapy, with a strong focus on source control. Abscess drainage can be both therapeutic and diagnostic and is a required part of therapy unless the abscess are too small for drainage. Antibiotic therapy should be targeted towards the identified infection, and duration consist of at least 4 weeks of IV antimicrobials.

One case series of Klebsiella liver abscess patients found an overall mortality rate of nearly 10%, and a relapse rate of 4%. Sepsis was the cause of death in all of those who died. This organism can be aggressive and patients should be evaluated for additional metastatic sites of infection.

6 comments :

Amy Kendral said...

Massive Gratitude to doctor Razor who got my Genital Herpes cured a month ago. I have been reading so many comments of some people who were cured from various diseases by Doctor Razor, but i never believed them. I was hurt and depressed, I was too curious and wanted to try Doctor Razor, then I contacted him through his email (drrazorherbalhome@gmail.com) when I contacted him, he assured me 100% that he will heal me, I pleaded with him to help me out. I also got His Website : https://drrazorherbalhome.wixsite.com/drrazorherbalhome.  My treatment was a great success, he healed me just as he promised. He sent me his medication and asked me to go for check up after 18 days of taking his herbal medicine. I agreed with him and I took his medication and went for check up, to my greatest surprise my result came out negative after the treatment, I'm really delighted that i'm completely cured and healthy again. I waited for a month to be very sure I was completely healed before writing this testimony. I did another blood test one week ago and it was still Herpes negative. so i guess its time i recommend anyone going through Herpes HSV-1 or HSV-2, HIV, HPV, Hepatitis B, Diabetes, Cancer should reach him. EMAIL: drrazorherbalhome@gmail.com. WHATSAPP: +2349065420442  My greatest joy is having back my happiness

Moran Bella said...


i already gave up on ever getting cured of HSV2 because i have try many treatment none of them work out for me i have be going to different hospital they always tell me same thing there is no cure for herpes when i came across a post about Dr oyagu, in the net from a lady called Rebecca i contacted him and he reassured me with him herbal medicine which i took according to the way he instructed, that how i was cured. I doubted at first because i have been to a whole lot of reputable doctors, tried a lot of medicines but none was able to cure me. so i decided to listen to him and he commenced treatment, and under two weeks i was totally free from Herpes. i want to say a very big thank you to DR oyagu for what he has done in my life. feel free to leave him a message on email oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com and also WhatsApp him +2348101755322..
He can still be able to help you with this herbs medicine:
1...ALS CURE/DIABETES CURE/EPILESY/HPV CURE/LUPUS/HEPATITIS/CANCER/GOUT

juwan james said...

i want to  inform the public how i was cured of herpes  Virus by a Doctor
called Dr ishiaku. i visited different hospital but they gave me list of
drugs like Famvir, Zovirax, and Valtrex which is very expensive to treat
the symptoms and never cured me. I was browsing through the Internet
searching for remedy on Herpes and i saw comment of people talking about how Doctor ishiaku cured them. I Was scared because i never believed in the
Internet but i was convince to give him a try because i was having no hope
of been cured of herpes so i decided to contact him on his email, i searched
his email on net and i saw a lot of people testifying about his goodness.
when i contacted him he gave me hope and send a Herbal medicine to me that
i took and it seriously worked for me, am a free person now without
problem, my HERPES result came out negative. You can contact him on his
Email: ishiakuherbalcure@gmail.com or whatsapp him via +2348180828544
 and get all your problem solved.
1)Sickness of any kind
2)Help to CURE Hepatitis B, herpes, HIV/AIDS CANCER and BIPOLAR
3)Divorce, Breakup problem and To Re-unit
4)Pregnancy problem
5)Financial problem and Job promotion
6)To get a good and rich life partner
7)To Lose your wrath
8)to enlargement of manhood

sarah williams said...

Let us unit together and eradicate HERPES... Anyone who still thinks there is no cure for herpes should deviate from it because Dr.Momoh Herbal Cure who owns an herbal business has the cure. He uses roots & herbs to cure these diseases. I am a living testimony. He cured my herpes permanently and helps my daughter in getting pregnant after 10 years of bareness. He said he also has cure to hepatitis B, Cancer, Diabetic, STD, HPV, erectile problem, epilepsy and other diseases. email him:DRMOMOHHEALERTEMPLE@GMAIL.COM Whatsapp: +2348166979481.

desire said...

HOW I GOT CURED FROM HPV VIRUS I was diagnosed of HPV Virus in 2019 and I have tried all I can to get cured but all to no avail, until i saw a post in a health forum about a herbalist man prepare herbal medication to cure all kind of diseases including  cancer, HERPES virus, how to get pregnant, ETC at first i doubted if it was real but decided to give it a try , when i contact this herbalist via his email and he prepared a HPV herbal cure and sent it to me via UPS delivery company service, when i received this herbal cure, he gave me step by directions on how to apply it, when i applied it as instructed, i was totally cured of this deadly disease within 14 days of usage, I am now free from the deadly disease called HPV, all thanks to Dr.Shaibu Contact this great herbal doctor via his email: (drshaibuabacha@gmail.com or Whatsapp/call +2349051727475. You can also contact him for other kinds of diseases.1) Weak Erection2) Fibroid3) kidney problem4) Cancer5 ) Stroke 6) Bad breathe.

Florence said...

I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Health Home, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Health Home via their website at www.ultimatelifeclinic.com I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!