Thursday, August 6, 2015

Hyperkalemia

Hyperkalemia can be fatal! Now that I have your attention, time for some learning…

We recently discussed a case of hyperkalemia in morning report. This is a ‘bread and butter’ internal medicine topic for which trainees have been taught the same approach for eons: pre-renal, renal and post-renal. Instead of focusing on the approach to the many causes of hyperkalemia I will review the acute management.

Stop potassium from coming in
  • Low potassium diet
  • Stop potassium containing IV fluids - sounds obvious but makes sure to check!
  • Also, remember to stop nephrotoxic medications - think about NSAIDs, ACE-inhibitors, etc...
 Stabilize the cardiac membrane
  • Calcium gluconate (or chloride) will stabilize the cardiac membrane and (hopefully) prevent a dangerous arrhythmia. But the effect lasts under an hour so give calcium first to buy yourself time to initiate the definitive measures below.
Shift potassium into cells
  • Insulin 10-20 units IV to shift potassium into the cells.
  • Dextrose D50W 1-2 amps to avoid hypoglycemia from your insulin. The sugar load will also stimulate release of endogenous insulin, thereby further shifting potassium into cells.
  • Beta agonists are also effective at transiently lowering serum potassium.
  • Sodium Bicarbonate infusion has been shown to cause a small reduction in serum potassium. However, you may not always need to give it if your other measures are successful.
Remove potassium from the body
  • Renal: Is the patient producing urine? It is important to address any cause of AKI. Healthy kidneys with a reasonable GFR should eliminate any excess potassium. If the patient is volume overloaded and the clinical situation permits, you can give a loop diuretic to promote renal excretion of potassium. If the patient is pre-renal, perhaps he just needs some IV fluids to start excreting potassium. 
  • GI: Resins are often used to treat hyperkalemia (ie. Kayexalate aka sodium polystyrine sulfate) but they are frequently not effective after a single dose and their use has been linked to intestinal necrosis. So if you're going to use a resin, make sure the patient is not post-operative and has no GI problems (ileus/obstruction). Another school of thought is to avoid kayexalate and instead use lactulose to induce a diarrhea which will result in potassium loss. Regardless of your approach, the bottom line is that after you do all (or some) of the above, make sure to follow the serum potassium closely (recheck in 1-2 hours), make sure that one of the methods of potassium excretion is working and address the underlying cause.
  • Hemodialysis: If the hyperkalemia is refractory to your management (above) you should consult your friendly nephrologist for consideration of dialysis.

Check out the following review article from CMAJ on Manegement of Acute Hyperkalemia: http://www.ecmaj.ca/cgi/content/citation/182/15/1631

4 comments :

Candy Swift said...

Thanks fro your work!

Amy Kendral said...

Massive Gratitude to doctor Razor who got my Genital Herpes cured a month ago. I have been reading so many comments of some people who were cured from various diseases by Doctor Razor, but i never believed them. I was hurt and depressed, I was too curious and wanted to try Doctor Razor, then I contacted him through his email (drrazorherbalhome@gmail.com) when I contacted him, he assured me 100% that he will heal me, I pleaded with him to help me out. I also got His Website : https://drrazorherbalhome.wixsite.com/drrazorherbalhome.  My treatment was a great success, he healed me just as he promised. He sent me his medication and asked me to go for check up after 18 days of taking his herbal medicine. I agreed with him and I took his medication and went for check up, to my greatest surprise my result came out negative after the treatment, I'm really delighted that i'm completely cured and healthy again. I waited for a month to be very sure I was completely healed before writing this testimony. I did another blood test one week ago and it was still Herpes negative. so i guess its time i recommend anyone going through Herpes HSV-1 or HSV-2, HIV, HPV, Hepatitis B, Diabetes, Cancer should reach him. EMAIL: drrazorherbalhome@gmail.com. WHATSAPP: +2349065420442  My greatest joy is having back my happiness

Cookie Walker said...


Hello Am From The UK , I want to write a little testimony about the good work of doctor Oyagu who cured me from Hsv 1 and 2 for just 2 weeks with his herbal medicine, I never believe I can be normal again and have a good life like others I always regretted the day I got diagnose with the virus, I was lost of hope when my doctor told me there is no cure for it but I keep thinking and thinking about my future, if I can have kids of my own well I am so grateful for my helper who get me cured with his herbal medicine, I go online in search of anything that can help me because I can’t deal with it forever so I found this doc Oyagu email on a blog of someone who was cured by him I quickly contact him for help and explain all my pain to him, he told me not to worry about it there is cure for real, I never believe until he send me the herbal medicine when I order for it and I have it within 4 days that is how I took the medicine for 2 week and the following week I go for test just to confirm I was 100% cured from this sickness what a miracle in my life I am so happy right now, you can also get in contact with him if you have such sickness through email address oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com or text him on what's app, phone number +2348101755322 Dr Oyagu also has remedy to others disease like COLD SORES,HIV/AIDS,DIABETES.CANCER,HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE AND MANY MORE. I oblige everyone to contact this powerful herbalist Dr Oyagu and be free from suffering.

Tucker Conrad said...

A GREAT SPELL CASTER (DR. EMU) THAT HELP ME BRING BACK MY EX GIRLFRIEND.
Am so happy to testify about a great spell caster that helped me when all hope was lost for me to unite with my ex-girlfriend that I love so much. I had a girlfriend that love me so much but something terrible happen to our relationship one afternoon when her friend that was always trying to get to me was trying to force me to make love to her just because she was been jealous of her friend that i was dating and on the scene my girlfriend just walk in and she thought we had something special doing together, i tried to explain things to her that her friend always do this whenever she is not with me and i always refuse her but i never told her because i did not want the both of them to be enemies to each other but she never believed me. She broke up with me and I tried times without numbers to make her believe me but she never believed me until one day i heard about the DR. EMU and I emailed him and he replied to me so kindly and helped me get back my lovely relationship that was already gone for two months.
Email him at: Emutemple@gmail.com  
Call or Whats-app him: +2347012841542