Thursday, November 19, 2009

Obstructive lung disease









At physical exam rounds, we discussed the diagnosis of obstructive lung disease.

There are many potential findings, outlined below, and 3 major papers on the evidence-based diagnosis of obstructive lung disease.


Possible findings:

General inspection:
Signs of respiratory distress (accessory muscle use, indrawing, paradoxical abdominal movement), pursed lip breathing, barrel chest, signs of malnutrition, look for clubbing (not expected in COPD), asterixis from CO2 retention, cyanosis, elevated JVP from cor pulmonale, many other possibilities...

Vitals:
Pulsus paradoxus

Palpation:
Subxiphoid cardiac impulse, palpable P2 from pulmonary HTN

Percussion:
Hyperresonance
Decreased diaphragmatic excursion
Decreased cardiac dullness


Auscultation:
Wheezes

Special manouevers:
Forced expiratory time (Patient takes a deep breath and exhales forcefully with open mouth, and examiner listens over lower trachea)
Laryngeal height- measure the maximum distance between the sternal notch and the thyroid cartilage. Less than 4cm is significant.

Evidence:

From JAMA Rational Clinical exam (1995):

Most sensitive tests (i.e. rule out if not present)- no single test sensitive enough
Most specific tests (i.e. rule in if present)
Wheezing (LR 36)
Barrel chest (LR 10)
Decreased cardiac dullness (LR 10)
Match test (patient unable to blow out match held 10cm in front with open mouth) (LR 7.1)
Hyperresonance
Forced exp time over 9 seconds
Other less useful tests to rule in, but positive LR's: Forced exp time 6-9s, subxiphoid impulse, pulsus paradoxus over 15, decreased breath sounds.



From JGIM- Straus et al, 2002
Took 161 pts with varying disease severity (known, suspected, or no COPD), did spirometry on all, looked at components of history and physical that predicted FEV1 5th percentile.

Key point here is combining findings is powerful in ruling in or ruling out.

Forced exp time over 9 seconds - LR 6.7
Wheezing - LR 4.0
Self-reported COPD LR 5.6


If all 3, LR 59 (rules in). If none, LR 0.3 (i.e. good for ruling out)

Other significant features: Over 40 pack-year smoker: LR 3.3



From JAMA- Straus et al (2000)- primary study, not Rational Clinical Exam

History of smoking over 40 pack-years: LR 8.3
Self-reported COPD: LR 7.3
Maximum laryngeal height less than 4cm LR: 2.8
Age over 45 LR 1.3

If all 4, LR is over 200
If none, LR- is 0.13

Links

For JAMA Rational Clinical Exam abstract click here

For Straus et al JAMA paper click here

For Straus et al JGIM paper click here


5 comments :

James Franklin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
James Franklin said...

Informative post. COPD is a common lung disease. It cause poor airflow from the lung because of blockage. COPD treatment

Lisa Kenneth said...

I'm 57 years old and female. I was diagnosed a couple of years ago with COPD and I was beyond scared! My lung function test indicated 49% capacity. After having had flu a year ago, the shortness of breath, coughing and chest pains continued even after being treated with antibiotics. I've been smoking two packs a day for 36 years. Being born without a sternum caused my ribs to be curled in just one inch away from my spine, resulting to underdeveloped lungs. At age 34 I had surgery and it was fixed. Unfortunately my smoking just caused more damage to my already under developed lungs. The problem was having is that I enjoy smoking and don't want to give up! Have tried twice before and nearly went crazy and don't want to go through that again. I saw the fear in my husband and children's eyes when I told them about my condition then they start to find solution on their own to help my condition.I am an 57 now who was diagnose COPD emphysema which I know was from my years of smoking. I started smoking in school when smoking was socially acceptable. I remember when smoking was permitted in hospitals. It was not known then how dangerous cigarettes were for us, and it seemed everybody smoked but i was able to get rid of my COPD lung condition through the help of  Dr Akhigbe   total cure herbal medicine. my husband saw his testimony on the internet he used his powerful medicine to cured differents diseases. we contacted his email   [drrealakhigbe@gmail.com}   He has the right herbal formula to help you get rid and repair any lung conditions and others diseases, will cure you totally and permanently with his natural organic herbs,We received the medicine through courier delivery service. I wish anybody who starts smoking at a young age would realize what will eventually happen to their bodies if they continue that vile habit throughout their life.
Dr Akhighe also cured diseases like, HERPES, DIABETES, HIV/AIDS, COPD, CANCER,ASTHMA,STROKE,LUPUS,JOINT PAIN,CHRONIC DISEASES,PARKINSON DISEASES,TUBERCULOSIS,HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE,BREAST INFECTION,WOMEN SEXUAL PROBLEM, ERYSIPELAS,STAPHYLOCOCCUS,HERPATITIS A/B, QUICK EJACULATION,GONORRHEA,SYPHILIS,WAST/BACK PAIN,PELVIC INFLAMATORY, DICK ENLARGEMENT,HEART DISEASES,TERMINAL ILLNESS,SHIFT IN FUCUS,ATAXIA,COMMON COLD,CROHN'S DISEASES,ALCOHOL SPECTRUM DISORDER,GRAVES DISEASE,HEARING LOSS, INTERSTITIA CYSTITIS,LEUKEMIA,MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS,OBESITY,RABIS,SCOLIOSIS,INFLUENZA, POLIO,JACOB,ETC. If you are out there looking for your cure please  contact  dr Akhigbe  by his email    drrealakhigbe@gmail.com     or contact his whatsapp number   +2349010754824
God bless you Dr Akhigbe for your good hand work on my life.

Tucker Conrad said...

A GREAT SPELL CASTER (DR. EMU) THAT HELP ME BRING BACK MY EX GIRLFRIEND.
Am so happy to testify about a great spell caster that helped me when all hope was lost for me to unite with my ex-girlfriend that I love so much. I had a girlfriend that love me so much but something terrible happen to our relationship one afternoon when her friend that was always trying to get to me was trying to force me to make love to her just because she was been jealous of her friend that i was dating and on the scene my girlfriend just walk in and she thought we had something special doing together, i tried to explain things to her that her friend always do this whenever she is not with me and i always refuse her but i never told her because i did not want the both of them to be enemies to each other but she never believed me. She broke up with me and I tried times without numbers to make her believe me but she never believed me until one day i heard about the DR. EMU and I emailed him and he replied to me so kindly and helped me get back my lovely relationship that was already gone for two months.
Email him at: Emutemple@gmail.com  
Call or Whats-app him: +2347012841542

herbssolutionsbynature said...

Your air ways contain tiny glands that produce a small quantity of mucus. Natural Remedies for Bronchiectasis, Mucus helps to keep your airways moist, and tricks the dust and germs that you breathe in. The coating is moved away by tiny hairs, named cilia, which line your airways. If you have bronchiectasis, your airways are broadened and inflamed with thick mucus, also called mucus or sputum.