Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Congestive Heart Failure


Today, in addition to piloting another format to morning report, we discussed congestive heart failure. Management issues surrounding associated acute renal failure and atrial fibrillation were also reviewed. Here is a brief summary:

ARF
This can make management difficult. When the renal failure is secondary to poor perfusion pressure, this sometimes improves with diuresis. ACE/ARBs are vital to the management of CHF and should be continued whenever possible.
Atrial Fibrillation
This is a classic "chicken or the egg" scenario in that did the AFib push the patient into failure, or did the "atrial stretch" from fluid overload cause the patient to go into Afib? In any case, diuresis is paramount. If needed, rate controlling agents (Digoxin, Amiodarone, intravenous magnesium) can all be used to slow the patient down, but all will be ineffective without diuresis.
In both scenarios above, a trial of BiPaP can go a long way in stabilizing the patient (decreases afterload, increases preload and increases CO) while you are awaiting the effects of diuresis.

Here is a recent review on CHF from NEJM. Also, here is an interesting article on using intravenous iron therapy for iron deficient patients in heart failure.

1 comment :

Stephenie Brown said...

I'M TOTALLY FREE FROM HEPATITIS B
  I’m Stephanie Brown, I was diagnosed with Hepatitis B 4 years ago, I lived in pain with the knowledge that I wasn't going to ever be well again. I have used several antiviral medications, but this could not fight the virus of me rather I got side effects of fever, muscle and joint pain. After  spending so much money on antiviral drugs but I never get better. I made research on the internet for herbal medicine. AS I was determined to get my lifestyle back and to be able to do things I am restricted from doing, I saw a lady’s post on how Herbal Dr. JAMES cured her of HIV with his herbal mix medicine. I contacted the same Doctor through his email....Drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com....we spoke, I told him all that I have been going through, and he told me not to worry that everything will be better again, so he prepared his herbal mix medicine and sent it to me through DHL courier company and told me the usage, after 21 days of completing the herbal medicine, I was totally free from Hepatitis B, I went to see a doctor for a blood test, After taking a sample of my blood for the test the result came out negative, I just can’t deny that I’m the happiest woman on earth this very moment, I’m so happy and thanks to Herbal Doctor JAMES,He also told me he cures  diseases   such as Alzheimer's disease, schizophrenia, Autism. Bipolar disorder,  Shingles, Melasma, Underactive thyroid, Melanoma, Cancer, Weak Erection, Wart Remover, HPV, Herpes, Fibromyalgia, HIV, Hepatitis b,Liver/Kidney Inflammatory, Epilepsy, Fibroid, Diabetes,COPD, Back pain, Nephrotic syndrome,Infertility.Cardiovascular diseases.lung diseases,Thyroid disorders ,PCOS,Contact him on his email and get rid of your diseases, he is a good  man  Email....Drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com